Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yay for Grass (Self-Awareness)

I started the process of cleaning up the flower beds last night in preparation for the spring mulching season. Don’t be deceived, I do NOT have a green thumb. I got a blister on my finger from about 30 minutes of work. Go ahead, mock me!

I was frustrated by some grass that was growing in the middle of some of our shrubs – you know, the shrubs that have sharp thorns all over them? It got me thinking about “something good” in the wrong place.

Then I started to think about people. I think there are a lot of frustrated people in the world – people who are plenty lovely and really great at some things – but who are miserable because they are simply in the wrong place.

For example: I have a great appreciation for flowers, trees and plants. I love sunshine and rain. Aesthetics are important to me, and I am in awe of God’s creation. But I would be miserable if I worked in a greenhouse. It doesn’t make me a bad person. It doesn’t mean I’m less valuable to God or my fellow man. I’m simply not created for that particular line of work.

Grass is good. But only when it grows where grass is supposed to grow. That little patch of grass got a painful dose of reality last night when it was ripped from its place. And the one who had to do the ripping didn’t enjoy it a whole lot either.

But that little patch of grass will thrive when it takes root in just the right place! Yay!

As a matter of chat…

If you’re grass, are you in the lawn? Or are you in the shrubs? How do you know?