Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Can you say this? “I am wrong!” (Relational Awareness)

Life is all about relationships: a vertical relationship (or a choice to ignore it) between you and God – and horizontal relationships between people.

We are in a constant state of “relating”. So we need to be aware of “how” we are relating to people. Just like hitting a pothole with your finger up your nose (sorry, I’ll stop using that metaphor after today), we may not realize what we’re doing to others until we’ve done some serious damage.

It should be pretty simple to avoid these “potholes” in relationships. If you try to live according to God’s Word, the Bible, like I do, you know that loving God and loving people are priority one! So we should be really concerned about how we relate to others - rooted in love, compassion and empathy.

I find that most people who are burning bridges and doing relational damage have trouble saying one phrase: “I am wrong”!

As a matter of chat…

When is the last time you said to someone “I am wrong”? When was the last time you told God “I am wrong”? Do you have a good grasp on your relationships? Do you think people have the same perspective of your relationship with them as you do? If so, what makes you so sure? If not, what do you think you can do to improve your relational awareness?