Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SOMEONE Take My Order Please

I was recently told of a dear, older woman who went to a local convenience store for some lunch. This particular store, as most around these parts, was equipped with touch-screen monitors for ordering food. Unfortunately, she was looking for a traditional “deli” experience.

She waited patiently by the counter, not even noticing the screens, for someone to “take her order”. After the workers behind the counter rudely ignored her for several minutes, she eventually got their attention and asked what the deal was!

They explained that she needed to place her order on the screens, but gave her no further assistance.

She eventually figured out how to order her ham sandwich, but I don’t think she’ll be returning to that place!

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly technology is replacing people.

As a matter of chat…

Are there some roles that humans play that will never be replaced by technology? What are they? Is there a demand for me? Or am I replaceable? Do I avoid interaction with people in a quest for convenience? Am I missing opportunities?