Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Get it RIGHT!

Tomorrow, the mechanical tech will visit for the third time - maybe THIS time he'll get it right and fix our air conditioning. I still haven't figured out why I'm responsible to pay for something that he has yet to actually fix.

As I wait for the cool evening air to replace the stagnant, sticky air of the day, I can't help but recognize the first-worldness of my discomfort. How quickly I can complain about a lost luxury, forgetting that it's just that. A luxury.

I know people personally - I have friends who aren't confident they will be able to feed their children tomorrow; who are praying that they won't get sick because they have no access to healthcare; who will spend a massive amount of energy to retrieve a tiny bit of fresh water miles from home today. But I'm feeling 'hot'! Poor me!

I don't know why God chose my birth place, but I know that there is a great responsibility that comes with the bounty of these circumstances. It's not my place to determine anyone else's convictions, but I'm trying to live more simply, to be more aware of the plight of the poor and destitute in my community and in the world, and to give and serve in ways that help them. I guess I'm saying that I'm thankful for the occasional discomfort.

What about you? What's your latest complaint? A lost luxury? Or something a little more "relevant"? How's your gratitude? What are you doing with your bounty? Should you give up something today to help someone else?

Philippians 2:14 - "Don't grumble...ever" (DK version)

No comments: