Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Creator vs. Created

What do you worship? If someone were evaluating your life, what would they say is the object of your worship?

I'm afraid that people evaluating my life would say that I worship people. I love people. I prefer noise and company over quiet and alone-ness. I spend hours trying to "relate" to people, develop people, train people, disciple people. Sounds noble. But I need to be careful that these intentions have their proper place - that people, as important as they are, don't become the object of my worship.

I was reading in Romans the other day. Paul uses a phrase that caught my attention:

"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator"(1:25).

I don't think Paul is saying that created things are insignificant. In fact, Scripture is pretty clear that mankind is a prized creation – but a creation, none-the-less. However, our affections and admiration for the creatED ought to pale in comparison to those for the CreatOR.

As a matter of chat...

How do you know when you are worshiping someone/something? What/who would people say you worship? Are your priorities in line? Where is the line of "loving and serving people" and "worshiping" people? How can you increase your worship of the Creator today?

No comments: